Tomato & Basil Bruschetta

9.11.2012

DSC_1393

Last week I introduced you to Kelly, my new recipe contributor & she is back today with another yummy treat! Seriously, her food looks so amazing...every single recipe makes me want to invite myself over to her house for dinner! See for yourself:
Hi! I'm Kelly! 
"I'm a 20-something foodie with a true passion for cooking and a love for photography.  My blog "Eat Yourself Skinny" started because I wanted to show that eating right and maintaining a healthy lifestyle could actually be fun!  I love to put a spin on classic favorites by substituting calorie-loaded ingredients with healthier alternatives that still taste delicious.   I'm super excited to be a recipe contributor for Jessica N' Designs!"
DSC_1387

Do you ever have one of those days when you just want to snack? I do pretty.much.every.friggin.day a lot and so this weekend I decided to just veg out on yummy bruschetta.  I of course ate most of the bread rather than the tomato, but who are we kidding...sometimes you just need some carbs!  

I didn't get this recipe out of a cookbook or magazine, I just decided to whip together what I had on hand and what I thought would taste good. Let me just say success. Oh and that random yellow thing in the back of the picture...yeah that's supposed to be olive oil.  Hmm.

DSC_1404

So to make this, I chopped up some fresh tomatoes I had, threw a handful (or two) of basil, added some salt and pepper, drizzled a bit of olive oil and a added a splash of balsamic vinegar.  Voila!  

The easiest bruschetta recipe you'll ever make! I love the simplicity of this and wish more delicious recipes good be this easy.  But of course where would the challenge be then??

DSC_1392
_________________________________
Servings: 16
Serving Size: 1 baguette slice 
Calories: 125
Fat: 8.7 g
Carbs: 11 g
Fiber: 1.3 g
Protein: 1.9 g
Old Points: 3 pts
Points+: 4 pts
__________________________________

Here are your ingredients:
1 French baguette, cut into 16 slices
4 ripe tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup basil, chopped (or more if desired)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Dice your tomatoes and place in a bowl, mix in your chopped basil, garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar and set aside.  Slice your baguette into about 16 slices (or however many it yields) and place on a baking pan to bake for about 10 minutes.   
 
DSC_1400

Feel free to drizzle a bit of olive oil on the bread before you bake it, but that will of course add extra calories.  Spoon your bruschetta mixture onto your baguette slices while your bread is warm and enjoy!

Store your excess tomato and basil mixture in an airtight container in the fridge, tastes amazing over grilled chicken! Click here for a printable version of this recipe 


Photobucket
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan