DIY Window Flower Boxes.

7.02.2013



Pin It!

I love the look of window boxes & have always wanted some hanging in my windows! They can be rather expensive though, so I opted for the DIY route! 
Materials:
4- 1" x 8" x 8' Cedar Boards (Cedar does not rot like other woods when wet)
2 1/2" wood screws (for outdoor use) 
Drill
Saw
4- L brackets (mine were from Lowes)
Potting Soil
Pretty Flowers
Pin It!

When I decided to start them, the hubby was not home & I had never used a power saw before.  But I put my big girl pants on & went to town! I have to say, I was pretty darn proud of myself! 
I measured the windows to see how long I wanted to make my window boxes, you will want to do the same.  My boxes were 35" long.  
Then I cut out all 4 sides and drilled them together at each corner.  I was not worried about them being perfect or square...I love rustic!  
I made sure my box was the same width as my 8" board (which I found out the hard way is not exactly 8"?!) so I did not have to "rip" the board, I could just cut the bottom to size and screw it to my frame.
Pin It!
I then drilled 3 holes in the bottom of each box for drainage so the plants don't get flooded & die.  Now they are ready for flowers! 


Pin It!

I chose petunias because they are my hubby's favorite and they do so well this time of year!  I picked a variety and added some wave petunias so they would grow out over the box and give it a nice, full look. 

Since I didn't want to ruin the siding, I enlisted my brother in law, Ian, to help us drill into our siding and hang the boxes. (I don't love the L brackets I got, but they did not have the nice wrought iron ones I wanted...I am still looking for some to replace these ones.)

Pin It!

The window boxes really add some much needed curb appeal! It was an easy way to dress up the boring front of the garage! 

Pin It!

They make me smile each time I drive up to our house! I look forward to planing something in them each season! 

Photobucket
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan